Monday, October 8, 2012

Base Coat Comparison for Holographic Polish

My friend Samantha of Just One More Bottle let me borrow her bottle of Nfu-Oh 65 and I have to say I am now addicted to Nfu-Oh. They just make the most perfect holographic polishes of any I have tried. Ok so this is only my third holographic polish and two of those are Nfu-oh but still! These are amazing! This is a light blue aqua holographic polish that really makes me feel like I have mermaid nails that I just can't stop staring at. Application was really smooth and it was good to go in two coats. Holographic polishes do dry faster than normal polishes which is a good thing but also means you have to work quicker.

She also was super sweet and sent me Nfu-Oh Aqua Base to try out. Aqua base is a specialty base coat that is really supposed to make the holographic action pop! Surprisingly aqua base is not aqua but a milky color and dries clear. I wanted to test out how this would compare to using no base coat like my post on Nfu Oh 61, the LA colors nail hardener which is a aqua tinted base coat, and Rimmel base coat which is just clear.



For the first coat I would say that Nfu Oh Aqua Base is the clear winner for the most holo-ness with no base coat and LA colors coming in close second. I had a little trouble with the pinky that had the clear Rimmel base on it but I think that may have been because my bottle is a little older.


For the second coat of Nfu Oh 65 they all ended up pretty much even and very holographic!! The top two would be either using no base coat at all or the Aqua Base. Considering the cost though I would say you are much better off going without a base coat at all because the holo is pretty much equal. In a very close second place I would say the LA Colors aqua tinted base coat is a good choice especially at only $1. You get tons of holo with that and it is pretty much equal with the first two. The clear base is the one I think that worked the least but I still blame that on the old base coat. Still all these methods came out really close so it then just comes down to personal preference.

I think that the first coat of holographic polish is acting as a basecoat those at this point for the second coat and creates OMG amazing nails!



Also, don't forget to enter the giveaway in the post below! Only 6 more days to enter!
















19 comments:

  1. Love this color. If you haven't had a chance to, Color Club just released new Holo's. I have thier original line and they are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this holo polish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, they are beautiful, no matter what the base! Must have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for swatching with different base coats. I would have never thought they could be different. The nfu is a brand I really want someone to send me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the swatches! This color is amazing!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for doing this. I'm new to the polish world and only started letting my nails grow when my daddy passed away. It was what he always begged me to do is stop biting my nails.

    Anyway, I don't own an aqua base but have my first real holo polish coming from Llarowe tomorrow. I appreciate you showing which base works well with these holos.

    And oh, I'd give a TOE for some of the Nfu-Oh polishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing this! I've been waffling over buying the aqua base, but I will have to go out and find the LA colors one first... Maybe it will make applying my Layla holos less of a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same blue nfu oh! I ordered it with another holo and did not want to get the aqua base. I rather spend that amount on another bollte. But I had the hardest time with balding so I ended up getting it. It did make a difference. I love this blue!! I love holos!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love da color and will definetly have to get me one of those bottles :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The polish is absolutely beautiful, thanks for the comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous! Must get my hands on some holos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this color to bad I can't get my hands on this:s

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and for only $1 looks like i need to grab another base coat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omgggggggg I LOVEEEEEEE tht holo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete